Monday, December 15, 2014

Tinsel, Treats, Trolley's, and Thornapple Awards

 Skate Night #2!  I really dread the day when Carson does not want me to go rollerskating with him because it's seriously my favorite thing right now!  This time he started off holding on to me and then a few songs in he went off on his own!  To my HUGE surprise, he entered himself in the kindergarten race.  I almost fell over when he told me he was going out there and he skated out to the starting line on his own.  I was so scared and shocked...but you know what?  The kid who learned how to skate ten minutes prior did just fine!  He did not fall during the race but he fell about 5 times trying to skate off the floor afterwards :) The whole school stands around the rink to watch and cheer for the races...it was a big deal.  I would have never done that.  When he was done he came over to me and was yelling, "I did it Mom!   And I didn't even come in last!  That means I beat somebody!".  I just cannot get enough of these skate nights.

 Decorating at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

 Trouble Makers.
 We have this cool thing in Ada called, "Tinsel, Treats, and Trolley's. So Friday night we walked the streets downtown and got to go into some shops, get some refreshments, take trolley rides around town, ride some horses, and just enjoy the lights!  Then Saturday morning we went to the Annual Santa Parade.  It was AMAZING.  The kids got so much candy my pockets couldn't hold any more. Carson's favorite was the band and having kids throw him candy from a school bus.  Laney's favorite was, well, the candy.







After the parade we walked down to the Fire Station and had cookies and hotdogs and got to sit on Santa's lap again!  This time, Laney will tell you that she asked Santa for fruit snacks, but Santa gave her a candy cane.  She's happier that at least she got a candy cane...but still doesn't get the whole concept.  Why doesn't Santa just give her what she asks for right then and there???

 School work with Carson.
 Bubbles at the Children's Museum.
 Cookie makers are hard at work here!  I had to pat them all down outside there was so  much flour stuck in their clothes!  They had a blast and those cookies sure went fast!



At Carson's school they have a program where they give out "Thornapple Awards" to students who show positive behavior through kindness to others.  It's an anti-bullying initiative.  When I sub in his class all the kids want to do is tell me who has won this award.  It's a big deal and Carson told me he wanted to get that award this year.  Well, on Friday he got off the bus holding up this slip of paper with the biggest smile you could imagine.  He was shaking when he told me he won the "Thornapple Award"!!!  The award says he was helping out a friend in need without being asked.  He tells me that he asked a girl from his class,who was standing on the wall by herself, to walk with him and line up with him after recess.  I guess the playground aide noticed and filled out the nomination.  He was in the BEST MOOD after school.  I mean he could not be prouder.  And I have to admit, as much as I love seeing his academic progress in the work he brings home, I don't think there is anything I could be more proud of him for than for being kind to others.  I may have cried a little as he was telling me all about it.  It was the best feeling in the world.  So congratulations Carson!  You didn't need a piece of paper to prove to me how kind and caring you really are...but I'm glad it made you see yourself that way for once!  There are few things in life more important than being kind and compassionate.  














No comments:

Post a Comment