Wednesday, April 25, 2018

So Long Diapers!

Laney's Big Day!  Finally 6!  She had a big day with school, ballet class, and then a quick dinner and cake with Grandma and Grandpa.  We had to start the day off with breakfast in bed like always!  Chocolate chip pancakes and mango.  

Laney Kay, you being 6 just baffles my mind...you are sneaky the way you just keep growing up.  You somehow manage to get more kind, more spunky, more fun, and more caring with every passing day.  You see the very best in everyone and you are the most forgiving, empathetic, and understanding person I've ever known.  You are wise beyond your years little girl...we could all take lessons from you.  I hope these next 6 years slow way down because I can't get enough of you RIGHT NOW!

Well this girl definitely liked her cake.
Everson is starting to kinda like this Uncle Jeff guy :-)

Nana gave us a little scare a couple weeks ago.  We waited several days before going to the hospital for a visit and I can honestly say that every single day before that Evie would say her name like she was asking when we could go and see her... 
but thankfully, this week these two are back at it again.  Glad to have you back Nana!  

Kite flying with Carson!  Carson was really good about letting Evie hold his kite string on this windy Spring day.  She had the most fun!
 Well this is a rare shot, and Laney knows it obviously!
 Look at this girl sitting up there and getting her hair cut like a big girl!  Speaking of being a big girl...this girl is potty trained!  That's right, no more diapers!   And we are all excited!  Here's how it went down.  A couple weeks ago I decided to go for it and put her in underwear.  I put her on the toilet and made her sit there until she went.  It took a whole hour.  An hour of reading, hugging, rubbing her belly, and then when I thought I couldn't take any more, she went.  We cheered and got our M&M's and I thought, "Well here we go!".  Well, not so much.  I put her back on the toilet every 2 hours and every time we had to sit there for 45-60 minutes.  A couple times she'd even pee on the floor the minute she would stand up from sitting that long.  That means that a majority of my day was spent in the bathroom.  I was mentally exhausted by the end of the day and I threw in the towel, told myself she just wasn't ready.
     The next few days she told me every single time she went in her diaper and she'd literally lay down next to her diapers asking to be changed.  It was like she was mad that I quit on her.  So, one week later, mentally recharged and with a big bowl of peanut butter M&M's we went for it again.  And this time I told her I wasn't giving up so she shouldn't try any of that sneaky stuff.  We quit diapers cold turkey and she's been going strong for 11 days with only 1 accident.  I put a diaper on her at night just because I value my sleep but she stays dry all night and in the morning she yells into the monitor, "potty, potty!", so when those run out it will just be undies all the time. 
     We  go everywhere we usually go and she just does so good!  We have not tried a public bathroom yet but I'm in no rush for that.  If you could just see the way she cheers for herself when she goes.  It's been almost 2 weeks and it hasn't gotten any less exciting each and every time.  The kids help out so much too.  Sometimes Evie sits on a stool and watches Laney go to the bathroom and then she cheers for her.  Carson and Laney have both taken turns reading to Evie and most of all they cheer and dance around with her every time she goes.  The first thing they want to know about when they get home from school is how Evie's potty-training went.  It's been fun to say the least.  Lots of cheering, clapping, dancing, jumping up and down...it's like this excitement will just never end!



 The weather FINALLY broke so this week I took Evie to the John Ball Zoo in Grand Rapids.  She loved the flamingos and the monkeys.  Going to the zoo with Evie alone was such a laid back experience.  She had no expectations so we just took our sweet old time.  I mean, we spent a lot of time with the flamingos.
 No fear from this girl with the huge bear on the other side of the glass.  She growls like a bear now too.

 Post soccer game ice cream treat!  Thank God for the sun and warm air.  We are going to be thawing out for a long time!

 Patrick is working in Spain this week so it was an extra special before school treat to have Grandma and Grandpa show up with donuts before bus time.  


Evie dancing to her favorite song from story time with Ms. Holly.  I downloaded it on my phone and now we listen to it ALL the time!

Laney couldn't wait to get her principal Mr. Shubel in the face at Family Fun Night!









No comments:

Post a Comment