Tuesday, April 11, 2023

California!... Knows how to Party

 

Spring Break 2023 we traveled to San Diego, California!  The day before we left, I got pulled in to sub for a class the teacher had just gotten sick in (puke sick).  The class was down to 11 from 24, all home with the same violent stomach bug.  I was stressing big time,  I wore a mask, I kept them spread out in our large library and outside all day, and basically carried sanitizer around with me all day.  It could have been a really bad start to our trip the next morning, but I'm happy to report, we all made it sick free!  We got off our early morning, 5 hour long flight, hopped in a rental car, and headed up to La Jolla Cove to see the sea lions and seals. It's just so majestic, I don't even know how to describe it there watching all the animals in the wild on the cliffs, rocks, and beaches.  I was so happy to get to take the kids there.  










We had a great lunch/dinner at a Pub a couple blocks up from the seals, hit the grocery store, and then headed to our rental house on Mission Beach.  This was our Day 1 and it was lining up to be a spectacular week!
Day 2:  The girls and a got up and walked along the beach and found an amazing hole in the wall bakery.  We ended up going to that bakery almost every single morning for kalache's, cinnamon rolls, and donuts.  So good.  Day 2 was Sea World Day, which we could actually see from our balcony!







Dolphin Show!

Orca show!



The kids might have loved the sea lions most of all!
Evie was pretty terrified the first time she went down this ride with me.  But by the end of the day, the big kids convinced her to give it another shot, and she went down in the front row, hands up, all smiles!

Sea World was so fun and so easy.  Not too crowded and just minutes from our house. Time for dinner and drinks before heading to bed!
Day 3:  This was our "down" day.  Which is hysterical when you look at all the things we did!  We started off the morning driving up to Torrey Pines Nature Preserve to go on a family hike.  At the top we watched a huge pod of dolphins playing in the waves just off the cliffs.  I could have stayed there all day.  My trip was made.  





Hard to see them out there but there were probably at least 50 dolphins just playing around.  







Back at Mission Beach we headed out for a walk after lunch.  


That afternoon we met Patrick's cousin Mike, Mike's wife Mayra, and their new baby Julian along with Uncle Mike (who was also visiting from Michigan) at Casa de Guadalajara.  Another highlight of our trip, I couldn't wait for some authentic Mexican cuisine!  
Mayra grew up in San Diego and was so kind to show us around Old Town San Diego, set up just like it was back in the 1800's!  It was so cool!



We love you Old Town San Diego!  Gracias!  

Day 4:  We went to downtown San Diego for the day.  Started off touring the USS Midway, then visited the Abeli's, and then hit the Padres game!
This was a pic I snapped on me and Patrick's morning run.  I mean, does it get any better?!  
The kids were way more interested in the USS Midway than I thought they'd be.  Carson took over 70 photos on his phone to send to his Grandpa. 

Tying knots for the girl who is mastering knotting her shoes :-)


Check.  Out.  That.  View.  Wow, the Abeli's live the life there in San Diego!  I could not be more jelly!
That face!  What a cutie pie little Julian is.  
Patrick got us some pretty sweet seats for the Padres first win of the season!  We have some new fans in our family! 



After the game we headed back to the Abeli's to play some intense games of pool.  

Day 5:  Disneyland day!  We got park hopper tickets to go to both parks and just stayed from dawn through dusk!  12 hours at Disney, now that will wear you out!  
Our family ran STRAIGHT to Splash Mountain when we got to the park, our favorite Disney ride.  It wasn't running last time we were at Disney World so this was Evie's first time getting to ride.  She rode it 3 times that day!!!

Splash Mountain #1
Splash Mountain #2
Splash Mountain #3 (Evie had to get in that front row!)
Patrick got us reservations for a character brunch and it was EVERYTHING!  I had no idea Evie would still be SO into the characters.  We had the absolute best time at this brunch.  The girls got a Mickey cake for their birthday's and even Carson got up and hugged Chip, Dale, and Mickey. I would love to relive that meal over and over.  So magical!













It's a Small World (for you Grandpa)



First time we've seen Moana in the parade!









Disneyland, you were amazing.  Much easier to get around than Disney World.  2 thumbs up from the Brang's!

Day 6: We went to Stone Brewing at Libery Station for lunch and then explored the Tidal Pools at Point Loma.    
Our daily bakery stop!







Can we stay here forever, please?!  We got pretty wet but we found baby starfish and lots of little crabs.  There was so much exploring to do we stayed for hours.  




















Day 7:  Last day (tear, tear) San Diego Zoo Day












The view from our balcony.  

Laney in her element, shopping and with something sweet in her hands.  

California living was so good to us!  Gosh I just want to go back to all the sun and fun.  We are so happy we were able to take the kids and get back to San Diego.  For how much we squeezed in, we were never too tired and everything went exactly as we planned (so rare!).  We had such an amazing trip together, it goes so fast.  










No comments:

Post a Comment